Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Torture

This makes me sick.

From Dick Clarke's book Against All Enemies:
Later, on the evening of the 12th [of September, 2001], I left the Video Conferencing Center and there, wandering alone around the Situation Room, was the President. He looked like he wanted something to do. He grabbed a few of us and closed the door to the conference room. "Look," he told us, "I know you have a lot to do and all...but I want you, as soon as you can, to go back over everything, everything. See if Saddam did this. See if he's linked in any way..."

I was once again taken aback, incredulous, and it showed. "But, Mr President, al Qaeda did this."

"I know, I know, but...see if Saddam was involved. Just look. I want to know any shred..."

"Absolutely, we will look...again." I was trying to be more respectful, more reponsive. "But, you know, we have looked several times for state sponsorship of al Qaeda and not found any real linkages for Iraq. Iran plays a little, as does Pakistan, and Saudi Arabia, Yemen."

"Look into Iraq, Saddam," the President said testily and left us.

There's plenty more of this in the book, especially from Paul Wolfowitz. Despite the protestations of the entire counterterrorism and intelligence committees, the Bush administration did all they could, including torture, to attempt to prove a connection that didn't exist. The thought makes me physically ill.

So does Bill-O in this. Apparently a TV blowhard knows better than a Special Forces Captain with a law degree about the use of torture to gain intelligence. I find that hard to believe.

1 comment:

  1. I especially liked O'Reilly's refusal to call it "torture" because that's a loaded word. So let's call it chocolate cream pie. Surely pesky folks like Amnesty International and the International Red Cross can't object to our giving prisoners chocolate cream pie! See? It's just semantics. Call it something else, and it's fine.

    Besides, it's okay because it works! Using that criterion, of course, would justify cutting off the hands of terrorists' children in front of them.

    If there were another terrorist attack in the US today, torture apologists would blame it on Obama's policies, and this is only April; but the September 11 attack was Clinton's fault.

    ReplyDelete