Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Incendiary Intimates

In the aftermath of Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab's attempt to blow up an airliner over Detroit, I'm reminded again of Jeffrey Goldberg's excellent piece on airport security from The Atlantic. His conclusion: more emphasis on intelligence gathering, less on invasive searches at airports. Can we all just admit that most of these measures are symbolic only? And can I leave my shoes on when I walk through the metal detector now? Can I continue drinking my fat-free soy chai peppermint latte mochaccino inside security, if I bought it outside security? If a terrorist wants to bring something onto a plane, he (or she) can. TSA isn't doing body-cavity searches yet, are they?

Ezra Klein points out why everyone is calling for the head of Janet Napolitano and not the head of the TSA: thanks to Sen. Jim DeMint (R-SC), there still is no head of the TSA.

No comments:

Post a Comment