Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Failure of the Media

It's not a new phenomenon. In a Calvin and Hobbes strip from ~15 years ago, Calvin and Hobbes have the following exchange:

C: I like following the news! News organizations know I won't sit still for any serious discussion of complex and boring issues.

C: They give me what I want: antics, emotional confrontation, sound bites, scandal, sob stories and popularity polls all packaged as a soap opera and horse race! It's very entertaining.

H: Then commentators wonder why the public is cynical about politics.

C: You can tell this is an in-depth story, because it's got an article next to the chart.

That last line is particularly hilarious if you've ever been unlucky enough to read USA Today. My point being:

1) Calvin and Hobbes is awesome.
2) The media has been letting the public down for a long long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment