Thursday, February 4, 2010

I think I might vomit

TPM is reporting that Sen. Richard Shelby (R-AL) is putting a blanket hold on ALL executive nominations. The reason? He wants tens of billions of dollars in defense earmarks for his state, and he's pissed that he's not getting them. I'm disgusted, but not surprised. And that's the worst part. At some point, these politicians should be held accountable for their reckless and feckless behavior. But they probably won't.

EDIT: I didn't catch this on the first run-through, but Matt Yglesias pointed out on Twitter that the company Shelby is trying to get money for is Northrop/EADS. EADS may not be a familiar name, but it is the parent company of Airbus. Yes, Shelby is screwing with the governance of the country... because he wants tens of billions of dollars of taxpayer money to go to a massive European corporation. I don't really go for pointless "BUY AMERICAN!" or protectionism, but isn't this a little silly?

EDIT #2: Yglesias, a man after my own heart, even uses my preferred adjective in his blog post on this charlie-foxtrot. Parochial!

No comments:

Post a Comment