Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Stop being scared.

Jon Stewart tells Newt Gingrich why we should try Khalid Sheik Muhammed and others in NYC:

Honestly, and I say this with all due respect. I lived through it. I live blocks from there. I would love to see them tried in a court there. I want him--I would like him to do it. I'll tell you the thing that upsets me more, is the fact that we haven't rebuilt the area. That upsets me more. And I would be happy and I would be proud of New Yorkers' ability to handle whatever inconvenience it is to show off our resilience, and our lack of fear in the face of these idiots. And I would be delighted. I would be--I would be delighted.

Amen, brother. This is the thing that gets me. Is there a better way to show the world how much better we are than these "idiots" than by showing them that we aren't scared? We will stick to the principles this country was founded on, and we will subject them to justice our way. We won't resort to their tactics of fear, torture, intimidation and total disregard for human rights or the Bill of Rights. This is America, we're not afraid of these extremists.

There's another exchange later where Gingrich says we shouldn't be treating them as common criminals but as our mortal enemies. Stewart again hits the nail on the head, saying that treating them as anything other than common criminals elevates them, gives them more stature than they deserve.

Jon Stewart is dead on. These terrorists don't deserve our fear. We must show that we ARE better than them. We can start by bringing Khalid Sheik Muhammed to a courtroom blocks away from the site of the World Trade Center and trying him, convicting him, and putting him in a Supermax prison for the rest of his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment