Friday, February 26, 2010

Why we watch sports

Stories like this one:

The record books will say figure skater Joannie Rochette won a bronze medal at the Vancouver Olympics. But that is just the outward symbol of a more poignant victory, which she shared with thousands of roaring fans in the Pacific Coliseum on Thursday night – and many more around the globe.

Buoyed by thousands of letters from her small town in Quebec, from teammates, from strangers on Twitter, Rochette surmounted the sudden passing of her mother on Sunday to skate a heartfelt free skate and finish third. And then, instead of withdrawing to the privacy of her family, she spoke publicly – with poise and strength – for the first time since the weekend.

“I want to thank everyone who supported me – everyone around the whole world. I felt so much love in so little time. All of your comments, all of your letters, really helped me get on the ice and skate here for myself, my country, and my mom,” said Rochette, when asked to comment on her performance at a press conference afterward.

No comments:

Post a Comment