Monday, March 15, 2010

One Year

So the first post on this blog was one year ago today. (Down to the minute, actually, thanks to the wonders of scheduled posting.) It certainly has grown a bit. I averaged a little under ten posts per month over the first nine months of the blog, and somewhere upwards of 40 for the past three. I've been doing a bit more straight linking and excerpting, which accounts for some of that increase in volume.

I think my focus has evolved a bit from foreign policy to domestic policy. That's because, at least in my mind, right now domestic policy is more interesting/entertaining/divisive recently than foreign policy. Afghanistan and Iraq are both complete clusterfucks, but the decisions have been made. I'm more pessimistic by the day about Iraq, but I don't see us staying there, no matter what Ricks says. The fun decisions on Afghanistan will be in about 18 months, when the country still doesn't have a functioning government and we're supposed to be leaving.Yemen will be done behind the scenes. Pakistan is still behind the scenes, and seems to be paying dividends, with the capture of what seems like half of Taliban's leadership.

Ok, I'll be totally honest. I'm as guilty as the next guy of focusing on conflict. But hey, it's interesting! And I feel like it would be criminal not to talk about the dysfunction in Washington.

Any suggestions on where to go from here?

No comments:

Post a Comment