Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Banning the Burqa

There's been plenty of talk about the legislation to ban the burqa in public places in France. While I see that it is a symbol of the subjugation of women in fundamentalist/radical forms of Islam, I don't think it's the government's place to step in. I realize that France has far more government involvement in everyday life than the US, so perhaps this makes sense for them. But as an American I think that, regardless of First Amendment issues, this issue should be left alone. TNC has a similar take that I largely agree with:

I always think the way to win this fight is to have confidence in the strength of the culture, as opposed to the strength of the law. Put differently, I don't know that you can force integration. It has to hinge on the organic magnetism of your values.

No comments:

Post a Comment