Saturday, September 4, 2010

Empire State of Mind



In response to a hilarious article about New York City sucking by the Onion, Paul Krugman talks about how easy life is in NYC:

Actually, when I’m in New York what always strikes me is how easy life is in some respects. If I want something from the drug store, or the hardware store, or go see a movie, it’s right there — no need to get in the car and drive several miles. 

The thing is, this is all true of my neighborhood in Minneapolis. Literally, as in I can get to a hardware store in about 30 seconds walking, a theater in about a minute, and the drugstore takes all of maybe five minutes to get to. (My walk score is 97.) And I don't have to deal with the insane housing costs, the garbage in the streets or the many other vagaries of NYC life so brilliantly pointed out in the Onion piece.

More importantly, this is true of most cities of decent size. Obviously suburbs are incredibly car-oriented (the house I grew up in has a walk score of 37). But most cities are very compact and walkable. Several Chicago neighborhoods are similar to mine in density. Obviously some cities like Detroit were built with cars in mind, but many or most were not.

Density can also take odd forms. Matt Yglesias pointed out recently how Somerville, MA is actually denser than Chicago or DC. But it doesn't have loads of gleaming skyscrapers or anything, land was just efficiently used. The point is, walkable urban areas exist outside Manhattan and need not look anything like the bustling multitudes and high-rise apartments in New York City.

2 comments:

  1. Since I live in New York, but I spent a year and a half commuting to Minneapolis, I feel that I have pretty good perspective when it comes to comparing the two cities. While it's true that Minneapolis is surprisingly walker friendly, there's just no comparing the two cities.

    The sheer amount of choice presented to New Yorkers is unparalleled. It's not just that you can get to a hardware store or movie theater without driving, it's that you can get Ethiopian food, electronics, dry cleaning, groceries, and a pint all on the same corner. And in most cases, at 3am.

    That being said, the Onion article hit a little too close to home for a lot of people here. We do have to put up with a lot of bullshit to live in this city. Let me know when there are two hundred restaurants that will deliver to your house for free and I'll think about moving to Minnesota.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mean, I get that sheer scale is very different. But its not like I don't have the ability to run down to a falafel place or sake bar or sushi restaurant. I'm saying that sure, NYC is unique in the scale of it, but scale it down and remove the bullshit, and you might find a place more pleasant to live. I've been to NYC, I understand the advantages, I also understand the bullshit. All else being equal, I think I would rather live in Minneapolis.

    ReplyDelete