Tuesday, November 30, 2010

I don't deserve to vote

Via Jon Chait, the president of Tea Party Nation doesn't think I should be allowed to vote:

It wasn’t you were just a citizen and you got to vote. Some of the restrictions, you know, you obviously would not think about today. But one of those was you had to be a property owner. And that makes a lot of sense, because if you’re a property owner you actually have a vested stake in the community. If you’re not a property owner, you know, I’m sorry but property owners have a little bit more of a vested interest in the community than non-property owners.


Yep. I guess I never saw it that way. Because I can't afford to buy a house or condo, I shouldn't be allowed to vote.

In actuality, I think it's sad that renters aren't better represented in neighborhood meetings and hyper-local policy decisions. I live in a neighborhood that is 85% renters. Unfortunately, NIMBY-inclined owners tend to be the most vocal and active, so even an area as rental-heavy as this ends up having vicious battles over new development that young renters would welcome. I guess if Mr Phillips had his way, 85% of the households in my neighborhood would be disenfranchised entirely. Considering that this district is about as blue as it gets, that's probably fine by him.

2 comments:

  1. Personally, I don't think people who watch Jerry Springer or read the supermarket tabloids should be permitted to vote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tea anyone?

    Judson Phillips is a fool, so all our military personnel, firemen, policemen and elderly who don’t own property can’t vote?

    How about all people who have filed bankruptcy can’t vote (like Judson Phillips), or those who fail to answer questions basic about our country history can’t run for public office (like Sarah Palin or Christine O’donnell), how about that, please.

    So what do you think these losers want next, SLAVES?

    ReplyDelete